GamerzUniverse
Welcome to GamerzUniverse, a Nintendo fan forum! We have a wide assortment of gaming essentials and host many game related discussions here! Sign up to view our full content!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

GamerzUniverse
Welcome to GamerzUniverse, a Nintendo fan forum! We have a wide assortment of gaming essentials and host many game related discussions here! Sign up to view our full content!
GamerzUniverse
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Vegetarian?

4 posters

Go down

Vegetarian? Empty Vegetarian?

Post by cHr0mChIk Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:10 pm

Hey guys!

I've heard some of you are vegetarians. I've been a vegetarian for almost 7 months now; and I have some questions for those who are vegetarian as well.

Why did you become a vegetarian?

For how long are you a vegetarian?

Do you have some health issues now (lack of vitamin B12; losing weight; frequent dizziness; always hungry;...)?

Or did you have health issues before and now you don't have them?

Did you become a vegetarian simply because you love animals, or it has to do with your health? or both?

My entire family and every single person I know is against me being a vegetarian. I still don't know anyone that supports me and everyone wants me to stop with that. Actually, there was one guy in a restaurant who, when he saw me ordering a vegetarian meal, asked me "Are you a vegetarian?" and i said "Yes!" and he replied "cool!" - that was only person that... i guess.. "supported" me... lol

Did you encounter similar things?
cHr0mChIk
cHr0mChIk
Legendary Mewtwo
Legendary Mewtwo

Vegetarian? Gu_mem10
Digimon Tamer
GSystem : No warnings
GCoins : 59

http://digimonserbia.wikia.com

Back to top Go down

Vegetarian? Empty Re: Vegetarian?

Post by Evolution Master Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:43 pm

Generally I do mostly eat vegetarian-based meals with the exception of eggs and the occasional fish/chicken in traditional meals. Perhaps certain sweets like cakes count too (with their inclusion of eggs)?

Regardless, my family does have a history of being vegetarians (my grandfather was actually an extreme vegetarian), and my parents are strict vegetarians for at least two or three specific days of the week due to my culture. I try to follow it too, but sometimes I kinda break the rule with eggs. Razz Though generally, I eat sandwiches, rice, and common meals such as pizza as opposed to the more meaty dishes.

I do like animals a lot and I do believe that the methods of how meat is obtained is still barbaric to this very day. Documentaries such as "From the farm to your fridge" is horrifying, honestly.... (if you're curious about this video, I suggest having an empty stomach - it's disturbing!).

Anyways, I don't have any health issues myself and I've adapted to this type of diet for a while now. Though that's not counting certain traditional dishes occasionally since fish is often found in many of the dishes my family eats. Despite that, I generally don't eat meals with a whole ton of meat in it.
Evolution Master
Evolution Master
Toadally Admin
Toadally Admin

Toad4EvoMaster
GCoins : 1190

https://gamerzuniverse2.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kirito Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:44 am

Being a vegetarian is not bad at all. My mom is a vegetarian and like EM mentioned, I too have specific days where I only eat vegetables with rice, etc. Due to culture. But back to topic, being a vegetarian is good for weight loss and stuff. You won't see results right away but it will come. The only fall back on being a vegetarian is the certain nutrients u miss out. Protein for example is huge in meats, you need that for ur body to do anything. Rebuild muscle, give energy, etc. Since ur going to miss protein in ur diet by being a vegetarian, u will want to eats almonds and nuts that contain protein. I think their are alot more than just protein but do your research! Your body will be like what the hell is going on at first but it will adapt.
Kirito
Kirito
Anime Addict
Anime Addict

Bleach4AnimeFreak
GCoins : 10

Back to top Go down

Post by Ospreyeagle Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:34 pm

Why did you become a vegetarian? I SAW... DISTURBING IMAGES THAT MADE ME CRY AND NEARLY VOMIT. ;~; *retches*

Also, THIS: http://www.veganoutreach.org/cc.pdf

Imo, I'd much rather eat my own vomit than a turkey leg or chicken breast.

Some graphics I made:
Might not be for the faint of heart:

Essay/story of sorts:
Same as above:

Another story of sorts.:

“Cows are highly intelligent and sentient, feeling beings, and it's clear that the calves in this video are suffering. Deep fear and pain can be seen in their eyes and in their behavior. Calves are just as sentient as dogs - we would never tolerate such abuse inflicted upon a dog.”
Marc Bekoff, PhD

http://www.cratedcruelty.ca/#petition

“Animals are my friends...and I don't eat my friends.” ― George Bernard Shaw

“You can judge a man's true character by the way he treats his fellow animals.” ― Paul McCartney

“Non-violence leads to the highest ethics, which is the goal of all evolution. Until we stop harming all other living beings, we are still savages.” ― Thomas A. Edison

“A man can live and be healthy without killing animals for food; therefore, if he eats meat, he participates in taking animal life merely for the sake of his appetite. And to act so is immoral.” ― Leo Tolstoy

“Animals are my friends...and I don't eat my friends.” ― George Bernard Shaw

“You can judge a man's true character by the way he treats his fellow animals.” ― Paul McCartney

“Non-violence leads to the highest ethics, which is the goal of all evolution. Until we stop harming all other living beings, we are still savages.” ― Thomas A. Edison

“A man can live and be healthy without killing animals for food; therefore, if he eats meat, he participates in taking animal life merely for the sake of his appetite. And to act so is immoral.” ― Leo Tolstoy

For how long are you a vegetarian? Since ninth grade, started weaning myself off it.

Do you have some health issues now (lack of vitamin B12; losing weight; frequent dizziness; always hungry;...)? Not sure. Sometimes I feel dizzy. Can get lots of vitamins from Ensures. They're delish.

Or did you have health issues before and now you don't have them? Morally, I feel a lot better, knowing I'm not eating an animal that was killed by the hands of HUMANS.

Did you become a vegetarian simply because you love animals, or it has to do with your health? or both? Morally and health-wise.
Ospreyeagle
Ospreyeagle
Looker is the best
Looker is the best

Looker4Ospreyeagle
GCoins : 851
Name: : セクシー Sekushī

http://w11.zetaboards.com/AnimalWarriors

Back to top Go down

Post by Ospreyeagle Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:00 pm

UPDATE: I found an amazing video!

Ospreyeagle
Ospreyeagle
Looker is the best
Looker is the best

Looker4Ospreyeagle

Back to top Go down

Post by Evolution Master Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:01 pm

That video really needs more public exposure...

Factory farming just needs to stop existing in such a large number in the future. Disgusting and just saddening really.

1/3 of the world's cereal/whole grain stock goes just to fattening these animals too. Definitely a loss on both ends really.
Evolution Master
Evolution Master
Toadally Admin
Toadally Admin

Toad4EvoMaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Ospreyeagle Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:06 pm

Definitely! Also, look at these disturbing facts:

What impact does factory farming have on the environment?

The U.N. has identified the livestock industry as one of the most significant contributors to today's most serious environmental problems, including loss of fresh water, rainforest destruction, air and water pollution, acid rain, soil erosion, loss of habitat and climate change.1

Australians eat on average 113.6 kg of meat per person per year.2 This is 2.67 times the global average of 42.5 kg per person 3.

Climate change

Livestock production is responsible for nearly one fifth of the world's greenhouse gas emissions - more than all the planes, trains and automobiles in the world combined.4 Clearing forest land to grow feed also destroys crucial carbon 'sinks' and releases gases previously stored in the soil and vegetation.

Pollution

Some large farms can produce more raw waste than the human population of a large US city. - US GAO 20085

A farm of 5,000 pigs produces as much waste as a town of 20,000 people. When this waste remains untreated, it can pollute soil, surface water, and even run off into oceans and pollute underground drinking water.6

Factory farming uses substantial amounts of pesticides and chemical fertilisers to produce enough feed, and these toxic substances often end up in waterways, polluting rivers and oceans.

Land

The clearing of land to make room for more crops to feed animals, particularly in Latin America and sub-Saharan Africa, is completely changing the landscape, with severe negative consequences. For example, current trends suggest that the agricultural expansion for grazing and crops in the Amazon will see as much as 40% of this important rainforest destroyed by 2050.7

Biodiversity
This clearing of land for animal feed is having a catastrophic effect on our planet's biodiversity, particularly in forest and tropical regions. According to scientists who studied the clearing of land for farming in the developing world between 1980 and 2000, intensive agriculture, rather than family farming, was the major reason for this loss of biodiversity.8

Water

Agriculture uses 70% of the planet's fresh water9, and leading water scientists recently issued a warning that we would need to reduce our consumption of animal protein to a quarter of current levels to feed the estimated global population in 2050.10

[1] Livestock's Long Shadow, Food and Agriculture Organisation of the United Nations (2006)

[2] 2010/2011 consumption based on Australian Bureau of Statistics, Meat and Livestock Australia and National Australia Bank figures

[3] 2010 consumption, Disease and Drought Curb Meat Production and Consumption, Worldwatch Institute (2012)

[4] Livestock's Long Shadow, Food and Agriculture Organisation of the United Nations (2006)

[5] Concentrated Animal Feeding Operations, US Government Accountability Office (GAO) (2008)

[6] Putting Meat on the Table: Industrial Farm Animal Production in America, The PEW Commission on Industrial Farm Animal Production

[7] Tropical Forests Were the Primary Sources of New Agricultural Land in the 1980s and 1990s, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (2010)

[8] Tropical Forests Were the Primary Sources of New Agricultural Land in the 1980s and 1990s, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (2010)

[9] Feeding a Thirsty World: Challenges and opportunities for a water and food secure future, Stockholm International Water Institute (SIWI) (2012)

[10] Feeding a Thirsty World: Challenges and opportunities for a water and food secure future, Stockholm International Water Institute (SIWI) (2012)

From: http://makeitpossible.com/facts/frequently-asked-questions.php#faq20
Ospreyeagle
Ospreyeagle
Looker is the best
Looker is the best

Looker4Ospreyeagle

Back to top Go down

Post by Evolution Master Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:31 pm

No kidding...

The over supply of factory farms and the landed needed to supply the animals with crops is biting back at the world.

Also Australians eat that much meat?! My...that's disturbing.

I'm all for a more "green-loving" world as opposed to what happens to so many animals in these cruel farms.. If only animals had a voice.
Evolution Master
Evolution Master
Toadally Admin
Toadally Admin

Toad4EvoMaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Ospreyeagle Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:26 pm

Disgusting huh? I wish animals could be killed more humanely. Heck, even an axe to the neck would be better than the crap they go through!
Ospreyeagle
Ospreyeagle
Looker is the best
Looker is the best

Looker4Ospreyeagle

Back to top Go down

Post by Evolution Master Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:27 pm

Can't agree more. It's brutal to literally imprison those poor animals in such cruel situations.

Eh...if only those people killing those animals and even eating them in such large amounts could feel the pain of what these animals go through throughout their lives.

It's sad that generations of these animals would have suffered the very same fate as their parents and so on.
Evolution Master
Evolution Master
Toadally Admin
Toadally Admin

Toad4EvoMaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Ospreyeagle Sat Nov 01, 2014 4:49 pm

Wow... Jo Fredericks paintings are amazing!
http://jofrederiks.altervista.org/img/pics/1794565_736325106398021_1149689523_n[1].jpg

So haunting!! Love her work!

More pics:
Vegetarian? 1000-chickenlove-04-smart

More quotes:

"I never eat anyone I know personally. I wouldn't deliberately eat a grouper any more than I'd eat a cocker spaniel. They're so good-natured, so curious. You know, fish are sensitive, they have personalities, they hurt when they're wounded." — Dr. Sylvia Earle, one of the world's leading marine biologists
"A diet based on animal foods is a primary driving force behind the most serious environmental problems we face: the ongoing extinction of species, rain forest destruction, air and water pollution, loss of water resources, global warming, dependence on foreign oil, proliferation of disease, topsoil loss, drought, forest fires, desertification, habitat destruction, and even war and terrorism. This information is not publicized, however, and our understanding of it is suppressed, because eating animal foods is the elephant in our living room that we all pretend not to see - unrecognised behaviour that destroys our family but is taboo to confront or discuss." - Dr Will Tuttle
Ospreyeagle
Ospreyeagle
Looker is the best
Looker is the best

Looker4Ospreyeagle

Back to top Go down

Post by Evolution Master Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:07 pm

That tombstone is massive though the daunting look is appropriate considering how big of an issue the factory farming and such meat-obtaining methods are.

Indeed, very powerful and is a good visual way of getting the message through.
Evolution Master
Evolution Master
Toadally Admin
Toadally Admin

Toad4EvoMaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content